Friday 17 June 2016

Leopards in Kruger.



I have written before on my fascination with leopards sicne a young age and that story was told in a different place. http://birdwalkin.blogspot.co.za/2011/03/amazing-sightings-of-leopards-in-gir.html

My sightings of leopards have not been as many as I would have liked in Kruger yet they have all been memorable just the same. It is not often that I get to use a camera effectively while juggling talking to guests, watching animals and other vehicles and all of that and so while the photos maybe indifferent the experience has always been awesome.

The quest for leopard began for me when I was in the 7th grade, donkeys years ago. My grandfather went on safari in India and knowing of my passion for the wild he sent me a trip report of 6 typed pages. The first para had the words “Mr Spots walking over the rocks”. The imagery was bold and had a profound impression on me. He has passed on to his reward now, that trip report has become compost somewhere, I am 40 years older, but I remember the thrill that I got from reading that report in my hostel dorm.

Of the pix I have posted few are just casual leopards I saw on my dasy guiding but one is special to me. The leopardess with a cub. I met a couple at the Skukuza camp and we got to talking. Prashant is a colonel in the indian army posted in UNPKF in Sudan. His wife and son and I spent a couple of really great days in the park. They were really keen to see leopard and we were lucky enough to bump two of them and one with a cub.




I always tell my guests they have to bring their luck with them. I am here daily mine does not count. Ha! Well they obviously did bring their luck and it paid of in spades. We were driving around and seeing a lot of plains game antelope and giraffe and so many others and yet leopards and lions were missing. It was getting close to late afternoon and soon we would have to get back to camp and i would have to leave the park and still nothing. Suddenly we came down a road and one car was parked and the driver was peering across the road. A leopard crossed here he said when I asked and as we watched he came up out of the bushes to lie down and crouch down low as though stalking. Then he noticed that it was buffalo on the other side of the bushes and so relaxed and stayed there for quite a while as we watched. 

The leopardess was a similar case there were cars parked and no one could see her. With the Explore Africa Landrover seats being higher we not only saw her but also the little fellow next to her. What an amazing sighting. Leopardess and cub sleeping 20 mtrs off the road. Supreme. The little guy had his eyes open but he too was dozing and she was out for the count. Did not move for the whole time we were there. 

The beautiful sunset was a close to an awesome day! Explore Africa with me, and bring your luck with you, it will be fun! 


No comments:

Post a Comment